Whether you’re spontaneous or plan adventures to the last detail, this list of hard copy guides, downloads, digital apps and a season opener event will have you on your way to summertime bliss.
- Long-weekends.com is a digital magazine with lists and commentary on weekend getaways in the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley region with trips highlighting nature, history, family, action and adventure, romance and more.
- Dark Sky (iOS) and Weather Timeline (Android) are easy to use and both have your back at all times with area wide extended and minute by minute forecasts for your current location.
- Oh, Ranger! Path Finder (Android and iOS) is a well detailed database providing directions and maps for national, state and local parks. Search categories pinpoint the best places for the activities that pique your interest.
- Ohio’s Lake Erie Public Access Guidebook Rivers Edition covers 220 public access locations on Ohio’s river system across 21 counties with in-depth details on launch and fishing sites spotlighting amenities and activities. Visit coastal.ohiodnr.gov/gorivers for hardcopies PDF downloads and interactive maps
- Toledo Metroparks Program Guide is the ultimate resource for outdoor fun throughout the metroparks from fishing, biking, kayaking, to hikes, camping and more. Visit metroparksprograms.com to download or to receive a free quarterly hard copy.
- Geocaching.com (iOS and Android) gives you the excitement of a treasure hunt by helping you locate hidden tokens from over two million active geocaches worldwide, just by using your phone’s GPS. (Yes there are many in the Toledo Metro area too)
- Yonder ((iOS and Android) with access to over two hundred thousand destinations, this is a favorite of bikers, hikers and campers who like to network, blog and stream their experiences as they traverse the planet.
Running on Air
Don’t miss the latest craze in running and obstacle courses with the Insane Inflatables 5K on June 10th at Toledo Speedway (5639 Benore Rd). The course provides over the top fun and challenges for all ages and fitness levels as you dive, bounce, slide, climb, dodge and run through eleven inflatables spread over 3.1 miles for an absolute “insanely” awesome time! Family and friends can watch and enjoy food, music and additional activities at the free onsite Midway Festival. For registration, fees, times, a preview of the course and more, visit